Sunday, July 18, 2010

Productivity at last!

This weekend I was productive. Friday night I overdyed 9 balls of yarn that I had obtained (probably in a fit of yarn lust), but had not ever found projects for. Saturday I made 9 sets of stitch markers to put up for sale on Etsy. Don't look me up yet, because I haven't take pictures of the stitch markers to go up, but they will be there soon, since my yarn diet does not end until I can sell something that I have made, and the Wollmeise updates taunt me wickedly.

Anyway I thought I would use this post to document the dyeing process. I am not including pictures of the wine being drunk, but know that it is definitely an important step.

Step 1: Soak the yarn. This makes the dye take more evenly and removes oil, dust, cat hair, etc. This is generally when the drinking and conversing about what pretty colors you want to make begins.
















Step 2: Remove excess liquid from the skeins and decide exactly where to start. Since the drinking has already been going on for 20 minutes while the yarn was soaking, the colors are generally not what was decided minutes earlier while the yarn was soaking. Here is a particularly interesting color that I chose not to keep.















Step 3: Decide whether or not you are happy with the end product. At least happy enough to move on to something new and exciting.
















After that you just let the pretties dry and then decide whether they need to repeat the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment